Mark Cutifani, FREng CEng FIMMM FAusIMM DBA (Hon) DoL (Hon) BE (Mining–Hons), was appointed Chief Executive of Anglo American Plc on 3 April 2013. He is a qualified mining engineer with more than 45 years of broad experience of projects, operations, marketing, business development and finance. Mark is also the Chairman of De Beers Group of Companies, a non-executive director of Total SA, and a non-Executive Director of Anglo American Platinum Limited.
Mark has considerable experience in mining, having been associated with the industry since 1976 and has a practical working knowledge of most of the commodities produced and sold across the globe. He has had line experience and responsibility for mining and industrial businesses across six continents. Prior to joining Anglo American, he held the position of Chief Executive Officer at AngloGold Ashanti based in South Africa, and before that he was the Chief Operating Officer for Inco and then Vale’s global Nickel business, based in Canada. Prior to his Vale role he held senior executive positions with the Normandy Group, Sons of Gwalia, Western Mining Corporation, Kalgoorlie Consolidated Gold Mines and CRA (Rio Tinto). Mark is a mining engineer by training with several published papers and presentations. In his 45 years in operations, business development and corporate roles he has had line responsibilities across more than 30 countries, producing more than 20 commodities.
Mark is a current member of the following institutions:
- International Council on Mining and Metals (ICMM) – Former President and now Executive Board Member.
- South African Chamber of Mines – Former President and now Executive Member.
- World Economic Forum – Member of International Business Council.
- Fundação Dom Cabral (FDC) Brasil University – Member of International Advisory Council.
- Kellogg Innovation Network (US) – International Advisory Committee.
- Columbia University – Center on Sustainable International Investment – Emeritus - Member of Advisory Board.
- UK Home Secretary’s Business Against Slavery Forum.
- The Power of Nutrition – Independent Director.